Omaha, Neb. - The Omaha Lancers of the United States Hockey League (USHL) conclude their season opening eight-game road trip this Friday and Saturday as the team heads to Kearney, Nebraska for a weekend series with the Tri-City Storm.
Omaha (1-5, 2 pts.) dropped a pair of road tilts in Iowa last weekend falling to the Des Moines Buccaneers 6-2 on Friday before dropping a 2-0 decision at the Waterloo Black Hawks on Saturday. Zach Saar notched a goal and an assist and Nick Ellis turned away 43 of Omaha's season-high 45 shots on goal as the Buccaneers earned their first victory of the season. The Lancers were then blanked for the second time this season on Saturday when Waterloo native Cal Peterson backstopped the Black Hawks to a 2-0 shutout win.
Omaha returns to action this Friday and Saturday as the team opens up a weekend series and the first of three straight head-to-head meetings with the Tri-City Storm. Like Omaha, Tri-City (1-3-1, 3 pts.) fell in both of its Western Conference tilts last weekend suffering a 3-2 shootout loss at the Lincoln Stars on Friday before dropping a 4-1 decision at home against Lincoln the following evening. Tim Lappin scored both of the Storm's goals in a losing effort on Friday while Lincoln's Eric Scheid and Paul Ladue spearheaded the Stars victory the following evening with two points each.
Omaha Lancers - 1-5-0, 2 pts. (8th Western Conference)
- The Lancers have acquired D Niklas Folin from the Muskegon Lumberjacks for an undisclosed draft pick. A 6'1", 174-pound blueliner from Gothenburg, Sweden, Folin was originally drafted by Muskegon in the 20th round of the 2012 USHL Entry Draft. Before coming to the USHL, he had previously played for Vastra Frolunda HC in Sweden.
- In a separate transaction, Omaha has traded F Philip Zielonka to the Coquitlam Express of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL).
- F Eli Lichtenwald has been named team captain for the 2012-2013 season. Meanwhile, F Kenny Gillespie and D Matias Cleland have been named alternate captains.
- Lichtenwald, F Connor Chatham and F Jake Randolph currently lead the team in scoring with three points apiece. Chatham is tied with F Drew Melanson for the team lead with two goals while Randolph leads all Lancers with three assists.
- G Alex Lyon has started all six games for Omaha so far and has registered 30 or more saves in five of those six appearances. Lyoncurrently boasts a 3.16 goals-against average coupled with a .910 save percentage.
Friday, Oct. 19, Saturday, Oct. 20 @ Tri-City Storm - 1-3-1, 3 pts. (7thWestern Conference)
- Tri-City's roster features 14 returning skaters from last season's team, which finished sixth overall in the Western Conference after a 26-33-1 regular season.
- F Trevor Moore is the team's leading returning scorer after producing 32 points (12 goals, 20 assists) a year ago. Moore currently leads all Storm skaters in scoring with six points (two goals, four assists).
- F Brian Ward currently leads all Storm skaters with three goals.
- Tri-City's power play currently ranks 10th overall at 11.1% while the Storm's penalty kill ranks fourth overall at 89.5%.